Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Gorguts - Considered Dead (1991)

A boring start that pretty much bears zero clues to the absolute insanity that would be the hallmark of what this band represents.

I remember being intrigued by the name "Gorguts" sometime way back in 1991. Though it didn't make a terrible amount of sense (ok, none) it still had that vile and abrasive sound that got my teen-aged mind going a mile-a-minute and I immediately knew that this band would be the best thing since someone got someone's chocolate in their peanut-butter... vice versa. Unfortunately, hearing Gorguts for the first time was a revealing moment where it dawned on me that you should never judge a band by its name. Of course, if I were to hear of a band calling itself Gorguts these days, I would proceed on down the way without even a furtive glance as I have long since lost interest in that sort of thing. But being that Gorguts' debut was released when I was just about to turn 16 and very much fascinated by horror films and such, I was more or less drawn in.

The main flaw of this album is that it does very little to differentiate itself from many of the other bands that were active at that time. Much like Death, Morgoth and Obituary, 'Considered Dead' is a largely mid-paced affair complete with shriek-like death metal vocals and hardly anything that juts out and catches in your brain. The (at the time) "obligatory" James Murphy guest solo does little to make this a memorable outing. Even the album cover, which is obviously well done, just doesn't really do much for me. I don't even know what the fuck is going on or how any of it relates to the album or the songs within.

Overall, this isn't a terrible or even bad album, for that matter, but it just really doesn't contain the mojo required for incessant and obsessive spins nor can it be considered a "strong start" for the band. Obviously they (or more accurately, Luc) have come into their own throughout the years but this is just an average album at best that was done oh so much better when it was called 'Human' and released by a band called Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment