Monday, March 17, 2014

Trenchrot - Necronomic Warfare (2014)

Trenchrot kinda popped up outta nowhere and I have to say, I was very impressed by this young band from the 'city of brotherly love'.

There's definitely a huge Bolt Thrower influence in the riffs and to a degree, vocals. Obviously these guys listen to a lot of classic death metal as you can hear anything from early Gorguts and Morgoth to  Unleashed in each song. There's even a healthy dollop of thrash thrown in for good measure. For a debut the production is surprisingly tight and discernible without sacrificing the heaviness of the guitars. The vocals somewhat remind me of Mark Ditch from Gutted (Toledo).

Oddly enough, the more I listened to this CD the less I liked it. That's not because I think it sucks, but I can't shake the feeling that something's amiss. It's like a lot of the riffs and pattern arrangements go places that I wish they hadn't. No, there's nothing gay about this album, but it's like they'll have this awesome beginning to a song such as the second track and then once it gets going they end up somewhere considerably less interesting than they had began. I don't know. whatever. I'm sure anybody obsessed with classic death metal will eat this up. I'll certainly take this over the likes of Antediluvian and Mitochondrian any fucking day of the week. Unlike those types of bands, this goes good with a keg of beer and a bonfire in the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment