Monday, March 17, 2014

Paroxsihzem - Paroxsihzem (2012)

I know a lot of people lump these guys into the same category as Mitochondrian, Antediluvian and Aevangelist but for my money Paroxsihzem trumps them all. First off, their approach is a bit more straightforward than the aforementioned trio. One of the things that has prevented me from embracing a lot of these types of bands is the amount of shit that they're throwing out at you. I yearn for simpler times. Hooks. 'Consuming Impulse'. 'Realm of Chaos'. Nowadays everyone feels compelled to cram 92 fucking million different riff transactions into every one of their songs and frankly it's annoying. I really can't stand that shit. I don't know if it's indicative of the cell phone "selfie" generation or what but I'm eagerly awaiting the day it all gets kicked to the curb.

Paroxsihzem, again, is a bit more straightforward with their approach. Sure, it's not drone-doom but you don't need a PHD in ADHD to hop on board. Most importantly, to me at any rate, is that the band effortlessly conveys that gloomy murk that made the early Incantation albums wondrous monstrosities to behold. Nothing gets to slow around here but the music certainly drags you through the depths nonetheless.

Aside from the obvious Incantation influence, I'd say that a good chunk of this album actually reminded me of Norway's Molested and their 'Unborn Woods in Doom' (whatever the fuck THAT means) demo, especially in regards to the guitar sound.

The vocals are nice and low and give Mr. Craig Pillard a run for his fish & chips.

For me, these guys stand out from the emerging 'blasphemous war/death' crowd while being very much part of it. It will be interesting to see where they end up given that they stick around for a follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment