Monday, February 4, 2013

Ignivomous - Contragenesis (2012)

Ignivomous is one of those bands that I feel like I should like and I really want to like but something just ends up coming short.

Believe me, they certainly have the right idea. Crushing low end and smothering guitars. Evil atmosphere, etc. So what exactly is it that doesn't quite feel right? For one, there are vast chasms of uninteresting moments, despite all that the band seems to get right. Each release by the band has been traditionally loaded with moments that make me go "they should've done that" or "what were they thinking". That's not to say that where they do end up going is such a terrible place, but they seem to have a tendency to follow up good ideas with ones that are not so good. Perhaps boring is the word. believe me, I get where the band is coming from and I wholeheartedly approve, but whereas bands such as Incantation or Immolation have a knack for writing infernal music with a bit of a kooky touch thrown in for good measure, Ignivomous doesn't really add anything to the fire. That's the problem I have with a lot of these types of Incantation-worship bands. They have the right idea and I can't fault them for their enthusiasm, but a large sum of them are just really not very interesting. They have the sound. They have the lyrics and the imagery, but they don't have that peculiar something that made the elder ones so great to begin with. Kind of sucks too, as I was really looking forward to this album after their promising debut, but unfortunately 'Contragenesis' just sort of meanders around the same piece of turf from which 'Death Transmutation' had crawled out of.

There's certainly an audience for this band and you could do much, much worse and perhaps I'm just being overly picky, but again, I can't shake the notion that Ignivimous spaced out an ingredient when concocting this album. Oh well, there's always the next album.

No comments:

Post a Comment